Friday, November 9, 2012

MAC

Hey guys.
I finally received a reply from a MAC representative. I'm not sure if you are aware of  it but MAC is actually owned my Estée Lauder ( read my correspondence and you will see.)  I knew what was coming. Though, I am not surprised, my passion for blogging about companies like these has grown. Read for yourself.



"Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:49 AM


Dear Ms. Alvarez,

Thank you for your interest in M.A.C, a brand of the Estée Lauder Companies. We apologize for the delay in our response.


Providing consumers with products unsurpassed in quality and safety, while strictly adhering to legal requirements wherever we do business, is part of the deep heritage of the Estée Lauder Companies.
Our longstanding commitment to end animal testing has not changed: we do not test our products or ingredients on animals, nor do we ask others to test on our behalf, except where required by law.
We were one of the first cosmetic companies to demonstrate that cosmetic product safety can be achieved by non-animal testing methods. We are proud of the role we have played in advocating to regulators and industry participants worldwide, that cosmetic product safety can be proven by means other than animal testing. We have consistently supported the research program coordinated by the European trade association, Cosmetics Europe, for the replacement of animal tests since its inception 20 years ago. This broad program includes projects co-funded by the European Commission such as SEURAT (Safety Evaluation Ultimately Replacing Animal Testing). We are also members of the European Partnership for Alternatives to Animal Testing (EPAA), an initiative launched in 2005 by stakeholders from various industries, including the European Commission, to promote the sharing of knowledge across industries and facilitate the validation and acceptance of alternative test methods and strategies.
We are proud of our role in the great progress that has been made in eliminating animal testing around the world. Given, however, that there are still countries that require some animal testing, we have an opportunity to encourage global acceptance of scientifically validated non-animal testing methods. We are increasing our efforts and investments to make this goal a reality. Our activities toward this end include:
• Hosting industry dialogues and consortia to discuss the promotion of non-animal testing, state-of-the-art research and new breakthroughs in in vitro and other advanced testing methods, to regulators throughout the world
• Contributing funds to the Institute for In Vitro Sciences (IIVS), a US-based non-profit research and testing laboratory dedicated to the advancement of in vitro (non-animal) methods worldwide
• Developing and implementing programs in China and other markets where in vitro testing is not accepted in order to educate scientists on the scientifically validated safety record of these methods
• Continuing to support innovation at maximum speed and sharing protocols with regulators and industry participants worldwide
In addition, I appreciate the opportunity to explain that I do not have a comprehensive list of products that contain or do not contain specific ingredients. However, if you would kindly provide me with the specific names of products with which you are interested, I will be happy to have our chemist check for each of them.
I look forward to hearing from you.







Sincerely,

[I omitted the name, just for privacy, I don't want this person who is just trying to survive to get a bunch of haters]
Consumer Response Representative" 
   
    MAC is stating how much they have tried to end animal testing, apparently for 20 years now,by partnering with SEURAT (Safety Evaluation Ultimately Replacing Animal Testing). I have no doubt this is not true, and I applaud their efforts, but it does not change anything. Why can companies like Urban Decay, Wet N' Wild, Tarte, Sonia Kashuk, etc. deliver amazing quality products without having to resort to those inhumane means, especially when they are completely unnecessary? They chose to.
  
  Remember there are 1.3 billion people in China, that is a huge market. Companies like MAC, Revlon, and Maybelline are not stupid, they know what 1.3 billion people means for their pockets. The world would be a nicer place if these CEO types, who make millions of dollars, would considered stuffing their pockets with some humanity.
    
    I know many of you are not sure what to think when you investigate these companies and receive replies, like the one above, that are inconclusive.
   
    There are "signs" of trouble that you can look out for, when you are in contact with a company. First, if they say something a long the lines of: we don't test on animals.....unless required by law. It just means: we test on animals. Also, any company that sales in China, at specific retail outlets (its different with selling online); it just means : we test on animals.
     I'm sorry if it seems like I'm just ranting. But I have to be honest with you guys and myself about how I feel. How would it benefit anyone if i tried to be "politically correct"? 
    
    The only MAC product I own, my sister actually "borrowed" from a friend; then I "borrowed" it from her. All, I can say is that my Cruelty-Free Wet N' Wild eyeshadows give those a run for their money. They are as pigmented, and dare I say more buttery. If you are a MAC-die hard user, know that behind their "oh-la-la" look, stands a dark reality. Behind, the glitter and the red lips, is the scarlett blood of innocent creatures. Ask yourself, is the status I get from my peers by showcasing my "MAC" compact worth it? I know what my answer is.
 
-Camila A.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)