Wednesday, August 21, 2013

ion Brilliance / Professionals | Hair Company



Hey Guys,
ion Professionals is a hair dye company. If you've ever been in a Sally Beauty Supply, I'm sure you've either seen their products. Please read the ENTIRE article to get the whole story.

I emailed them asking, these questions. (I always email companies asking these questions).

This is what I received in response:
Camila,
Thank you for reaching out to the Ion team. We do not test our finished product on animals and do not use a 3rd party for testing either. The answer is also no to selling products to the Chinese market. I hope this answers all of your questions.
Sincerely,
Ion Professional Products
Reading this I felt pretty good about ion. They didn't answer my question about their parent company, so I emailed them again:

Hi,I was wondering about your parent company? Do you have one, if so who are they? Also, do you use Palm oil in your product, if so is it fair trade?-Camila

Ion replied a couple of days later, saying:


Camila, Ion is its own company.  We do not have a parent company.  If Palm Oil was used it would be listed on the ingredient decks. 
Sincerely,Ion Professional Products
Okay...Well, at least we know they don't have a parent company. I thought their explanation about 3rd party testing was vague. Also, I didn't understand why they didn't become certified by LeapingBunny or PETA? If a company isn't on one of those lists it does not necessarily mean they are not cruelty-free;being certified does take time and money. I expect this from indie/new companies. However, from a company I know to be popular, it always seems strange to me. I emailed them once more to urge them to do so.


Hi,I'm just curious as to how you guys make sure your raw ingredients are not tested on animals? Do you make the manufactures sign a form? Also, why don't you become accredited by LeapingBunny or PETA? If you did, it would be a BIG help for those who only shop cruelty-free! I know the people who read my blog would appreciate it, a lot!!! Please, get back to me! Thanks again!-Camila 


I received this reply from them:


Camila, As stated in the original email, Color Brilliance's company policy is not to include any non-animal testing claims on the label. The EU Cosmetic Directive bans this claim from cosmetic labels and Ion Color Brilliance is distributed Internationally.  Although the finished product may not be tested on animals, it is difficult to guarantee the raw materials were not tested on animals.  Sincerely,Ion Professional Products

WHAT?!!! I don't understand why they can't be sure where their raw ingredients have been; whether, they have been tested on animals, humans, etc. I personally, think it's irresponsible! I would demand my suppliers (if I had a cosmetic company) prove they don't test. I would make them sign forms, audit their factories, etc. Not being able to "guarantee" is lazy.

This experience was a good lesson for me. From the first emails, things were looking good. However, as you can see they didn't specify what they meant by "3rd party testing". I'm going to ask companies to please define what they mean by "3rd party, cruelty-free, etc"; from now on.

So, ion definitely DOES NOT meet my three criteria for determining cruelty-free status. Which are: (1) ethical, non-tested on animals raw ingredients (2) a compliant parent company, if any (3) Not retailing in China.

I hope this was helpful, if not at least informative. I'm still trying to perfect the process I use to contact and determine cruelty-free status. Please, leave me feedback in how I can improve. I am working out the kinks. :P

Until Next Time,
Camila


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)