Sunday, August 31, 2014

Boots and Companies || Animal Testing Inquiry


Hey guys. So I started spotting a lot of interesting Boots products at Target and so I decide to shoot them an email and inquire about their animal testing policy. Boots actually manufactures brands like: No7, No7 Men, Botanics, Indeed Laboratories, Boots Expert, Champneys, Poppy King, Boots Extracts, and Mark Hill.

Before I emailed them I did some research but I couldn’t find clear answers. I did see them on NotTested under the ‘ambiguous’ categorization. I did find some forums that mentioned No7 specifically as not cruelty-free. Just a disclaimer, you can’t trust forums to be 100% accurate. Anyways, I wasn’t sure what to expect.

I emailed using the template I always use. Click here to check it out.

I received a reply, here it is:

Dear Camila

Thanks for contacting us about animal testing and I apologise for the delay in responding to you.

Boots and its subsidiary businesses do not test any products or ingredients on animals, and do not commission others to do so on our behalf. In fact in March 2013 it became illegal for any company to test cosmetic products or ingredients on animals in Europe. 

The issue of animal testing on products and raw materials is one we take very seriously at Boots UK. For over 20 years our policy for cosmetics and toiletries has been that we do not carry out, or ask our suppliers to carry out on our behalf, animal testing on either ingredients or finished products and you can rest assured that we apply our policy rigorously.

Boots would like to see an end to all animal testing, and we fully supported the development of the ban on animal testing on ingredients that came into force in the European Union in 2013. The ban applies to all cosmetics products purchased from any store across the EU and completes the ban that started with  finished products in 2004 and was extended to cover most types of ingredient testing in 2009.  The 2013 law has completed the ban for all forms of animal testing for both products and ingredients and now ensures that all companies in our industry in Europe are now aligned with the same policy that Boots has had in place for over 20 years.

We would definitely like to see an end to all animal tests. We fully support the intentions of the BUAV and take a keen interest in the development and introduction of alternative forms of safety testing.

I hope you find this helpful and reassuring.

If you need to know if any of our products contain a certain ingredient like Carnuba wax please send the product identity code to me and I can request a list of ingredients from our Product Team. Unfortunately, I am unable to provide this information on a whole range and do need to seach on products individually.

Kind regards

I liked the reply. I'm always for companies that support banning animal testing.  It makes me want to support them. I had no idea Boots helped with the 2013 European animal testing ban.

As you can tell they didn't address whether or not they sell in the Chinese market, so I emailed them again!

I said:
Thank you so much for emailing me back, I truly appreciate it. I am very happy with everything that was mentioned. However, one very important question wasn't addressed. I was wondering if Boots sells any of it's products of any of its' company's in the Chinese market? 
Thank you again! 
This was their reply:
Dear Ms Alvarez

Thank you for contacting us. I am sorry that we did not answer you enquiry completely and I hope I can help you further.

I can confirm that Boots do not sell our products to the Chinese Market as this would contradict our Animal Testing Policy.


Thank you again for contacting us. If we can help in any further way, please let us know
Kind regards 

What do you guys think? I really think everything they mentioned is very strong and specific; they didn't seem ambiguous to me at all. Also, like I mentioned before NotTested has them under the ambiguous category; however this list hasn't been updated in a long while. So keep that mind. I really feel comfortable support Boots!

Leave me your feedback.

Lots of Love,
Camila





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)