Friday, January 18, 2013

CoverGirl, Almay, Dolce and Gabbana Fragrances, Pantene, Secret, Venus, etc.. P and G companies

      I've been trying to get through most well-known "drug-store" companies. I realized, that I'm missing CoverGirl, which is probably the most well-known of them all. Therefore, I started to look into them.

      I was surprised when the 'search', in my research proved short lived. I clicked on the "Contact Us" link, located on the lower right side of the CoverGirl homepage. I was then lead to a page, with three subheading. I clicked on the first, "Email Us." Instead of going to the email use header, I decided to check out their 'frequently asked' section. ( click here, to be linked there directly). I typed in "animals".                                                                
There I found the following:


"What is CoverGirl's policy about research involving animals?
P&G, maker of CoverGirl cosmetics, does not test beauty products on animals; nor do we ask suppliers to test them on our behalf. We do not test beauty ingredients on animals, except in rare cases when needed to meet regulatory or safety obligations. For more information on our full policy, visit http://www.pg.com/en_US/sustainability/point_of_view/animal_welfare.shtml "

      I Could already tell, from the "except in rare cases...", what I would find on the link provided to the P&G website.
Note: In case you are not aware, P&G is the company behind many household care items. (i.e. Bounty,   Mr. Clean, Pampers, Dawn) (click here for the entire list). 

      I realize that on this blog, I only focus on beauty related companies. However, I'm sure most of you would appreciate knowing that P&G is also behind those companies. 
   

    I found it surprising that they are also behind, MANY cosmetic/beauty companies. Here just a few of the better known ones: Always, Head & Shoulders, Olay, Pantene, Gillette, Venus, Tampax, etc. (Click  here to see them all) 

Back to what I found on the P&G wesbite. 

"Sometimes, to ensure that materials are safe and effective, we must conduct research that involves animals. This is a last resort. We consider such research only after every other reasonable option has been exhausted. The vast majority of our tests do not use animals and our ultimate goal is to completely eliminate animal testing. P&G firmly believes that ending animal research is beneficial for consumers, animal welfare, and industry. Wherever possible, we use computer models, synthetic materials, clinical studies, published scientific studies, and comments from consumers about products they use. P&G's product lines are diverse. We sell more than 250 brands. These brands are subject to different legal/regulatory oversight. As a result, our Animal Research policy for the Health Care business is similar to, but distinct from our policy for consumer products such as cosmetics and cleaning products. We are also committed to helping pets live better and longer lives, and our nutritional research programs for pets are designed to do just that. This represents a third area in which we have a policy to guide our development of nutritional programs specifically for cats and dogs. Today, more than 99% of our safety assessments are accomplished without the use of additional safety testing with animals. We reapply existing information and make extensive use of non-animal methods to determine safety. P&G is working with many partners and lawmakers globally to continue to advance science and technology in this area. P&G is well known for leadership in developing alternatives to animal tests, investing more than $275 million and developing or adapting more than 50 alternative methods. Many of these methods are not only faster than corresponding methods using animals, they are also more predictive of environmental or health effects.We are committed to continuing our leadership in developing non-animal alternatives, and our goal is to ultimately eliminate all animal research." ( P&G.com
      I think it's funny, laughable you might say, how they ramble on about "[believing] that ending animal research is beneficial for consumers, animal welfare, and industry." 
      
       Yet, they keep implementing it. I don't care how many times they say "we must conduct animal testing" to ensure the safety of our costumers blah blah blah!!! I know, that the only reason they continue to conduct animal testing is because of China's policy.
       
      If you are unaware, China requires cosmetic companies to conduct animal testing before they can sell in the country. 
      
      I think, and am sure most of you will agree, that the real reason companies like P&G, Estee Lauder, L'oreal Paris, MAC, Revlon, Maybelline, etc... continue to conduct animal testing, especially since we now have so many alternatives, is the profit or $$$. 

       Like I've mentioned before. The people behind these companies are not unaware of the 1.37 billion people living in China and what that means for their pockets! (http://www.statisticbrain.com/china-country-statistics/) 

So there you have it. I can't say I'm surprised at all by this. Definitely annoyed at their attempt to keep their "saintly" image. I wonder how 'saintly' they would seem, if they allowed us to enter their torture labs. 

Let me know what you think. By either commenting below or emailing me at ca.alva@yahoo.com. 

      I've been busying trying to contact SleekMakeup, Mally, etc from my list. By the way, if you are interested in looking at the list of cruelty-free companies I've gather, I have a post of each of them with my research, click here. Or you can look at the upper-left hand corner of my blog, where I will have my list linked, as well as Leaping Bunny's list, & PETA's list. 

      I would also appreciate if you would let me know which companies you want me to research. I can't guarantee I'll be able to get back to you guys with a post in a matter of days, but I will defiantly start.  

--Camila A. 














3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that I love your bog
    and that I love what you are doing.
    Great reference for those who can't keep up with
    the ever changing policies!
    I Spend so much time researching all the companies,
    that it makes my head spin.
    So I know what your going through!
    You are truly amazing!
    :-)

    B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You give me too much credit, but I truly appreciate it. It can be really stressful, especially when you have to 'read between-the-lines'. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the information. I would not buy from any company that test on animals for whatever reason. PERIOD. There are companys that will not and never will, never have test on animals. I just found one today in CVS call "Wet N Wild" It's PETA Certified. Very affordable.

    ReplyDelete

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)