Wednesday, August 14, 2013

UPDATE: MakeUp Geek | My decision : cruelty-free?

UPDATE!!!!(please read before you read the article below) 

I have received an email from a representative from Sugarpill. He wanted me to correct my information about their cruelty-free status. I do not have an official post about Sugarpill. He was referring to my post on MakeUp Geek.
Please click this link to see their PETA certification. I was surprised to learn that most of their products are vegan. They also have won a Libby award.

I have emailed said representative back, asking the questions I always ask.

Lots of Love,
Camila


Hey guys.
Read this first! If you don't you'll be confused with this post.

I've thought about MakeUp Geek for a few days now. I was honestly really confused about my feelings, but at last I have come to a conclusion.

I have decided to add them to my cruelty-free list.

This is my reasoning:

I know I always talk about (type- about?) not supporting a company that claims to be 'cruelty-free', when it's parent company conducts animal testing. I think it's wrong because you don't know where your money is going.

I held tight to this way of thinking, while I was considering what to do with MakeUp Geek. However, if I'm honest you can't really tie that way of thinking with MUG's situation. It's not like they have a non-compliant parent company, which you would be supporting if you purchased from them. They do however sale brands that PETA has not found compliant: Palladio & Sugarpill.

However, think about this for a second.

Even when you buy from a 100% cruelty-free, where does your money go?
A good amount goes into manufacturing the product. Meanwhile, another chunk goes to pay for factory workers, company executives, supervisors, the girls that sell them at the counter, etc. You can't be sure that those people only buy cruelty-free cosmetics. Do you see where I'm going with this? You can do the best you can do but at some point, you have to accept that you are no longer in control.

I think of my blog as a small fairy-light in this world. Which brings light to a very HUGE issue. This light can help others see and might even inspire others to turn on their "fairy-light". (I love fairy-lights, so I felt they would make a good metaphor).

I'm honestly scared some of you might think of me as being compromising on this situation. However, let your conscious be your guide. I always give my opinion about whatever I share on here, but that's just it-it's my opinion.

I will make it clear on my Cruelty-Free list that MUG sells Palladio & Sugarpill.

I hope you're not discouraged! Keep buying cruelty-free & keep boycotting companies that sell in China or have non-compliant parent companies! I know I will!

Lots of Love,
Camila





7 comments:

  1. MUG does sell those brands but the brand Makeup Geek itself is a cruelty free brand so as long you only buy their own stuff there won't be any compromising with regards to their cruelty free status :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal,
      Yes! That's what I wanted! I'm glad you guys are taking it well. I'm just very careful about this, because well, animal testing is so disgusting to me. :D

      Delete
  2. The important thing is not buying what is not cruelty free, For example, If I had the chance to buy from sephora I would love to buy OCC, lip tars
    for example an other cruelty free brands like tarte.

    But its out of your hand.
    Cruelty is in the veins of many people. Even children that are cruel to animals and enjoy it.
    I accepted I can control It but I can control my behavior and I can advice those who are close to me but I cant make them buy cruelty free or see the world the way I do. I can give and example and so do you.

    Be and example and a good one, and then you can sleep at night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl!! I appreciate this comment ssooooo much :D I totally see what you're saying and I agree 10000% with you!

      Delete
  3. I really appreciate the work you put in to finding out if a company is cruelty-free! I love Makeup Geek/Marlena but I've always been hesitant to buy her products since they weren't PETA certified. I agree with your decision and the comments above (i.e. just don't buy Palladio or Sugarpill from the site).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out-right information! Many cosmetics manufacturers label themselves as cruelty-free but their parent companies on which they are dependent are not cruelty-free companies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely think it's fine to buy from MUG. It's all about supply and demand. If you're not buying Sugarpill or Pallladio products from them, you're not contributing to the demand for them. The less demand there is for them, the less likely they are going to be stocked. It's the same thing with a vegetarian/vegan buying vegetables from a supermarket that also sells meat. So yeah, I'll happily buy MUG products!

    ReplyDelete

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)