Thursday, May 23, 2013

stila



Hey guys.

Maybe a week or so ago, I got in contact with stila. I emailed them using the usual format --which is will link here if you are interested. I received more than a handful of emails, so sit tight this is going to be a rather long post.

The first reply I received:
Hello,Stila does not use animals for any type of testing on our products and also choose vendors that follow the same business standards.
Kind Regards,
Stila Cosmetics Customer Care custcare@stilacosmetics.com(866) 784-5201makeup your own rules
As you can see, they did not address the China questions, whether their raw ingredients are also certified cruelty-free, and whether or not they have a parent company.
I emailed them again:
Thank you for your promote reply. I have a couple of other questions which were not directly addressed. 
1. Do you sell Stila products in China? (retail not just online).
2. Do you test ingredients or products on animals through a 3rd party?3. Do your manufacturers test ingredients or products on animals?
4. Do you have any vegan products, if which ones?
5. Do you use palm oil/ carbuna wax in your products? If so are they from an organic and/or sustainable source? 
 
I have one comment. Why doesn't stila become certified as cruelty-free by leaping bunny or peta? There is an entire market of people who only shop for cruelty-free products, being certified will reach that demographic.
Thank you once again.
Camila
I will publish any reply I receive on my personal blog, humanelychic.blogspot.com   
I then received a 2nd email from stila: 

Hi Camila, stila cosmetics offers high-quality products that are not animal tested.  However, we cannot certify that our products are vegan because we are not in control of the preliminary ingredient source or tools in which our products are produced and cannot ensure that they have not been used for other products that are not vegan.  You can always find a list of ingredients for all of our products on our website at www.stilacosmetics.com.  We do not authorize our products to be sold in china. As previously stated, stila does not use animals for any type of testing on our products and also choose vendors that follow the same business standards. Our customer care team will inform you comment to our public relations department. 
Kind Regards, Stila Cosmetics Customer Care custcare@stilacosmetics.com(866) 784-5201makeup your own rules 
Rather than clearing up concerns, this second email left me more confused. If stila cannot certify that their products are vegan, as they are not in control of "preliminary ingredient"; I wonder how stila certifies that the manufactures of their raw ingredients "follow the same business standards"? Also, they did not address my question about China. Therefore, I emailed them again hoping they could clear up my question:


Thank you for replying to my emails promptly and kindly. You stated : "we cannot certify that our products are vegan because we are not in control of the preliminary ingredient source or tools in which our products are produced and cannot ensure that they have not been used for other products that are not vegan." 
Can Stila certify that the ingredients they use are also not tested on animals? Also, does Stila have retail stores in China that sell the products? I know you have previously informed me that you do not "authorize" Stila products to be sold, exactly what does that mean? 
Do you only sell online? How does Stila ensure that no animal testing occurs? As you know China's law requires animal testing for beauty products to be sold in the country. 
I will be looking forward to your email. 
Camila
I will publish any reply I receive on humanelychic.blogspot.com. Which is my privately owned blog. 
I then received this 3rd email:

Hi Camila,Stila does not use animals for any type of testing on our products and also choose vendors that follow the same business standards. Stila cosmetics products are not registered to be sold in China which means we also do not have any authorized retailers located in China.An authorized retailer is a company who purchases our products directly from us through our sales department and sells our products directly to consumers. Since our products are not registered in China, this means that stila cosmetics also does not have any authorized retailers located in China.We hope this new information has been helpful and you have a wonderful day filled with lots of smiles and blushes!  
Kind Regards, Stila Cosmetics Customer Care custcare@stilacosmetics.com(866) 784-5201makeup your own rules 
Well, at least they cleared up the China question. However, I have a couple of problems with this correspondence. First, I don't understand why stila can't certify what products/ingredients are vegan.  If they are unable to certify that, how can they be sure that the manufactures of the raw ingredients also don't test on animals?

I won't be adding stila to either my cruelty-free list or my not-cruelty-free list. I need more clarification and will be calling them soon.

I was hesitant about sharing this correspondence, but I figured it would be helpful (maybe partly) to some of you. I personally, will hold off on purchasing from stila for now, I would advise you to do the same.
Meanwhile, if you have information that might clear things up, or maybe you have been in contact with stila, I would appreciate you share what they told you or share just leave me a comment about your opinion. Thank you for supporting my little o'l blog.

Until Next Time,

Camila

18 comments:

  1. Dear Camila, many thanks again for your effort - I´m not sure, too, if stila is confidential ... so I think it´s a good idea to hold off purchasing ...

    xx from Bavaria, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rena!!! I know, hopefully when I call them they can clear things up. I wonder, how I could document my conversation though, we shall see :)

      Delete
  2. Very good work you do.

    Thank you. The animals thank you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Morgan! I love receiving comments!! <3

      Delete
  3. Stila is owned by Estee Lauder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback. I have checked on Estee Lauder's webpage, but stila is not listed as one of their companies. I would really appreciate if you could be so kind as to send me the link where you got your information. Please do so at ca.alva@yahoo.com
      Thanks again :) I truly appreciate when I receive a comment!

      Delete
    2. Stila was sold to Sun Capital Partners from Estée Lauder in '06.

      Delete
    3. Stila was sold to Sun Capital Partners from Estée Lauder in '06.

      Delete
  4. Hi Camila,

    Thanks for answering. I replied on my blog but in case you don't see it I'm writing here as well. It took me a long long time to do the research and I was left even more confused. I ended up picking 30 brands and once I got started, I felt overwhelmed. Benefit has the most complicated but seemingly cruelty-free status I've ever read. I've misinformed a friend because of that. When I started researching, I realized I was wrong about them and that they are not cruelty-free. Same with MAC. I always thought they would be cruelty-free because of their MAC Aids Fund and their Back2MAC program and I'm fairly sure I read something that talked about how great they are for the environment, etc. Urban Decay recently opted out of being cruelty-free.

    I understand that when you fund the little makeup brand, you also fund the "parent" company, as I've been calling it. We have about 5-6 main companies that run the show, such as Estee Lauder, L'Oreal, LMVH, etc. Most Estee Lauder brands are not cruelty-free, but Smashbox and Stila are cruelty-free. They are both on PETA's cruelty-free brands list. It's hard to know when the parents company is not cruelty-free but they have a couple brands that are cruelty-free. When we pay money to brands that are cruelty-free, like Stila and Smashbox, that money ends up in Estee Lauder's hands. So we're basically funding animal testing by buying cruelty-free.

    I just saw your post on Stila. That's disappointing.

    I used PETA's list, which helped a lot, and I googled each makeup brand to find out more about their position on animal testing. It was sad to see that not a lot of brands I'm familiar with were on Leaping Bunny's list.

    I personally really like Too Faced, they are cruelty-free and have some vegan products. Their website has a list of all their vegan products, so it's easy to check. If only all makeup brands did this, it would be so much easier.

    At least if we don't have laws making all makeup cruelty-free, we should at least have laws that make it so that each makeup company must declare which products are cruelty-free and make a list or symbol of all vegan products. They should also define what "cruelty-free" means to them.

    Personally, I still use makeup that isn't cruelty-free, but I try to buy more makeup that is cruelty-free. By doing research for my list, I've also discovered that quite a few brands I always thought were cruelty-free, are actually not cruelty-free anymore. It's really helped to open my eyes.

    We definitely need people like you that get in there and really do the work to determine if a brand is 100% cruelty-free or not. Sometimes it's not enough to just read a brand's policy on it on their site (such as Benefit's, which is really misleading).

    I'm scared to post my post on this topic because I don't want to give anyone wrong information.

    Cheers and keep doing what you're doing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. woahhh that was a lot longer than I intended lol

      Delete
    2. Hi Steph,
      You're absolutely right! I think we should push for a bill that required companies to at least define what they mean by "cruelty-free". I think that would be taking a wonderful step in the right direction. I love how passionate you are about cruelty-free makeup! Thank you for sharing your experience in researching. No one said it would be easy, but it's all worth it. :)

      Delete
  5. Hey girl, your efforts are really appreciated and admired, and I just wanted to thank you for fighting wonderfully for a cause SO important.
    I am, if all goes well, joining a makeup business as a lead Business Developer, and although the founder does not exclusively use cruelty-free products, I do. With that said, I am hoping to be able to speak with you whenever and however possible in regards to somehow working together in the future.
    On all accounts,I wish you the best of luck with your pursuit for the rights of all living beings. Thank you again, and I hope to hear from you soon.
    Sincerely
    Glory

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I'm brazilian girl and I bought a palette Stila at Sephora. Your blog was very interesting for me. On the back of palette I saw ''Made in China''. And Stila is in PETA list of cruelty-free products.

    So, I found this answer by PETA explaining about it:
    ''China's animal testing requirement only applies to products sold in China. It doesn’t apply to products manufactured there''

    I'm more tranquil now.
    PS: Sorry my bad English, I'm still learning it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stila is an independent company owned by Lynn Tilton.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stila is an independent company owned by Lynn Tilton.

    ReplyDelete

  10. Vegan makeup products are cosmetics that do not use ingredients derived from — or tested on — animals. Concerns about animal abuse by the cosmetic industry has created a growing market for cruelty free products. Vegan cosmetic options include eye shadow, blush, lipstick and foundation; even vegan nail polish is becoming increasingly available.
    vegan makeup brands

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stila is definitely NOT cruelty free. They've stated that there may be tests required by law in order to sell their products. This makes me think that they now sell in China deliberately. Source: http://www.mybeautybunny.com/stila-not-cruelty-free/

    ReplyDelete

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)