Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Rimmel, NYC, Sally Hansen, OPI, philosophy, Marc Jacobs (fragances), Chloe, Calvin Klein (fragrances), adidas, Playboy (fragrances), Davidoff (parfums)



Well, that is certainty the longest title, I've ever given one of my humble posts. So let me explain why, I stuffed so many brands into one bunch. Coty, is the parent company of Rimmel, Sally Hansen, OPI, philosophy, Marc Jacobs (fragances), Chloe, Calvin Klein (fragrances), adidas, Playboy (fragrances), Davidoff (parfums) ) these are just the TOP 10 !); click here to see them all. I will put all of them on my official cruelty-free list on this blog. Click here.
That means, that whatever policy Coty has about animal testing, will also apply to any of those companies.
    So, now that we have cleared that up, to my correspondence. I received this email, with an attached document. I was excited, being that this was the first time a company attached a document to their correspondence; it made me feel like a professional investigator. 
    Let me share it with you:

"Camila,
Thank you for contacting us about our use of animals in safety testing.
Coty Inc  does not perform, nor do we ever commission any third parties on our behalf to perform, testing of our products or ingredients on animals. Attached please find our full Animal Testing Policy Statement.
 
To the fullest extent possible, Coty Inc. products, do not contain Bovine, Ovine, Caprine, or Porcine derived materials, nor do we use any animal derived musk materials. However, there may be an occasional Coty product that may contain honey, beeswax, lanolin or cochineal ingredients. In addition, some of our products are available for purchase in China. 
Thank you for taking the time to write to us."

If all I had to go on Coty was this email and didn't research it more deeply, all my efforts to go cruelty-free would be worthless. That is one reason, I really enjoy receiving personalized emails from an official company representative, rather then relying in what it says on a company's FAQs page. 
     I will now share, the document that came attached to my email. It will go into detail. So, you've been warned. 



"Coty Inc. Statement on Animal Testing

    Coty Inc. is a leader in the global beauty industry and one of the world’s largest
fragrance companies.  We have developed a portfolio of notable brands and offer
innovative products of outstanding quality for which we are committed to maintaining
the highest possible standards of consumer safety.
Coty voluntarily ceased testing finished cosmetic products on animals in 1991, long
before the official European ban on such testing in 2004.  Coty has been actively
involved for many years in the research and development of alternatives to animal
testing.
     Before we place a product on the market, we assess it thoroughly to ensure that it is
safe for human use and for the environment and that it is compliant with all applicable
laws, rules and regulations.  Our safety assessment of cosmetic ingredients is based
on the use of recognized alternatives to animal testing, the use of existing safety data
and, increasingly, the sharing of such data with other industries.  We do not perform,
nor do we ever commission any third parties on our behalf to perform, testing of our
products or ingredients on animals.
     The only exceptions are the very few countries where, by law, the regulatory
authorities require us to submit our products or ingredients to them for testing on
animals as a mandatory part of their regulatory protocols in compliance with their
local regulations. In these countries we regularly communicate directly with the
authorities and try to convince them to accept the validity of the results of alternative
non-animal testing methods. We accede to mandated testing by the authorities on
animals only as a last resort.
     We continue to strive for the development and acceptance of additional reliable non- animal testing methods and will continue to vigorously support the research,
implementation and improvement of alternatives to animal testing, especially for
those more complex tests for which no alternative methods have been established.
     For this purpose we actively participate in research programs in Europe and the USA
by dedicating funding, time, resources and scientific expertise. The common goal of
all these efforts is to completely eliminate animal testing.

April 19, 2012 "




Notice how they keep repeating "We do not perform" and "We do not commission." It means that they DO NOT regulation or implement an no animal testing policy with those; third party companies include those where the raw ingredients come from.

They also talk about Coty being "actively involved for many years in the research and development of alternatives to animal testing." Blah blah blah!! Its the same story for sooo many companies!! Companies like tarte, Wet N' Wild, NYX, etc, create high quality products without resorting to animal testing.

Lastly, the document states "The only exceptions are the very few [China] countries where, by law, the regulatory authorities require us to submit our products or ingredients to them for testing on animals as a mandatory part of their regulatory protocols....." That is a red flag, which basically translates into we conduct animal testing. At some point, in Coty's distribution in those 'countries', the products are tested on animals.

It isn't surprising, but definitely a let down.


So what do you think? Are you surprised? Be sure to let me know! in the comments or email me at ca.alva@yahoo.com. :)


-Camila A.








9 comments:

  1. they do test...if they tested the product even in 1 country , they still conduct animal testing.

    thank you for your hard work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I get soooo happy when I get feedback. I'm glad I could help :)

      Delete
  2. I´m real confused sometimes when I check the list and everything I checked last time, changed!!
    I follow Peta´s list, I just saw Smashbox (esteelauder)is back again on the DON´T TEST list.
    I really don´t know sometimes if I can trust those companies, like nars or smashbox, whose parent company is Lóreal, Shiseido, etc... And now, OPI dissapeared of the DON´T list and I have looooot of nails polish, blah!!
    If you speak spanish follow my blog www.iwantpretty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a consist struggle. I have to stay updated with them! Just remember, if the parent company tests, you could be supporting them as well! (you probably are)! You can do it though! :)

      Delete
  3. Yeah nice work, you have to be si vigilant with thi skind of thing...I'm hoping that in 10 years things in China will start to change, but I have my doubts :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by. :) You definitely have to be careful and through. I'm hoping they will as well. I feel that if more companies refused to sell their products in the Chinese market, they might crack under the pressure and change that dumb law. :) But those companies will not easily give up on a Billion dollar market. You can easily see the love for money over animal rights!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for stopping by. :) You definitely have to be careful and through. I'm hoping they will as well. I feel that if more companies refused to sell their products in the Chinese market, they might crack under the pressure and change that dumb law. :) But those companies will not easily give up on a Billion dollar market. You can easily see the love for money over animal rights!

      Delete
  4. I just want to say I am so happy to have come across this blog. Thank you for all your hard work for finding out what companies test on animals, and which don't. It's amazing, thank you very much. :) Now I know what to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @victoria
    Sorry, for the moment I can't reply directly to comments.
    Thank you so much!! I appreciate your lovely comment more than you can imagine :D

    ReplyDelete

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)