Saturday, November 17, 2012

My Cruelty-Free

So I've contacted a good hand full of companies, enough that I feel comfortable starting my list. Of course company policies are changing daily, none that I know of as of now, so that list will possibly change. This is just letting you guys know what is to come. I still have many to contact. These are the ones I've received a reply so far:

KEY:

BLACK : NOT cruelty-free
yellow  :Cruelty Free
Fushia : haven't received a reply
(P:___) Parent Company is...
✘: Parent Company DOES NOT comply

_______________________________________________________________________
1st List (Cruelty-Free Companies)


***As you can see there are a LOT more non-cruelty-free companies vs. cruelty-free (or at the ones I've researched). I recommend you check out LeapingBunny's list, where they have PLENTY of more companies you can choose from. I'm sure having a list of non-cruelty-free companies is just as helpful as GOOD companies.

Desert Essence☀
NYX
Physicians Formula
Real Techniques
Sonia Kashuk
tarte
Too-Faced
theBalm
Wet N' Wild


_______________________________________________________________________




2nd List (NOT cruelty-free COMPANIES)


(a)
Adidas (P: Coty)✘
Astor(P: Coty)✘
Almay (P: P&G companies) 

(b)
Burt's Bees (P: Clorox) ✘
Balenciaga (P: Coty)✘
Beyonce (P: Coty)✘
Bottega Veneta (P: Coty)✘
bareMinerals (P: Shiseido) ✘
Biotherm (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘

(c)
CCB Paris (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Cacharel (P: Coty)✘
Chloe (P: Coty)✘
Calvin Klein Fragrances (P: Coty)✘
Celine Dion (P: Coty)✘
Cerruti (P: Coty)
CK ONE Color (P: Coty)✘
Chopard (P: Coty)✘
Covergirl (P: P &G companies)

(d)
Diesel (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
David Beckham (P: Coty)✘
David Off (parfume) (P: Coty)✘
Dolce & Gabbana Fragrances (P: P&G companies)

(e)
Essie (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Elite Models (P: Coty)✘
Esprit (P: Coty)✘
Estee Lauder 

(f)
Faith Hill (P: Coty)✘
(g)

Garnier (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Giorgio Armani (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Guess (P: Coty)✘

(h)
Halle Berry (P: Coty)✘
Heidi Klum (P: Coty)✘

(i)
inneov (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘

(j)
Jennifer Lopez(P: Coty)✘
Jil Sander(P: Coty)✘
Joopi(P: Coty)✘
Jovan(P: Coty)✘

(k)
Keraskin Esthetics (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Kate Moss (P: Coty)✘
Kylie Minogue (P: Coty)✘

(l)
L'Oreal Paris
L'Oreal Professional (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Lancome (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
La Roche Posay (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Lady Gaga (P: Coty)✘
Lancaster(P: Coty)✘

(m)
MAC (P: Estee Lauder)✘
Maybelline (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Matrix (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Maison Martin Margiela (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Madonna (P: Coty)✘
Manhattan ✘
Marc Jacobs (P: Coty)✘
Miss Sporty (P: Coty)✘

(n)
NYX 
N.Y.C NEW YORK COLOR (P: Coty)✘
Nautica (P: Coty)✘
Nicole by OPI (P: Coty)✘
NIKOS (P: Coty)✘
Nars (P: Shiseido)✘

(o)
OPI (P: Coty)✘

(p)
Pantene (P: P&G Companies)
Pureology (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Philosophy (P: Coty)✘
Pierre Cardin (P: Coty)✘
Playboy (P: Coty)✘

(q)
N/A
(r)
Revlon (P: Estee Lauder)✘
Ralph Lauren (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Roger & Gallet (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Rimmel (P: Coty)✘
Roberto Cavalli (P: Coty)✘

(s)
Sonia Kashuk 
Softsheen (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Shu Uemura Art of Hair (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Shu Uemura (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Stella McCartney (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Skinceuticals (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Sanoflore (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Sally Hansen (P: Coty)✘
Sarah Jessica Parker (P: Coty)✘
Stetson (P: Coty)✘
Shiseido 

(t)
Tim Mcgraw (P: Coty)✘
Tjoy (P: Coty)✘
Tonino Lamborghini (P: Coty)✘


(u)
Urban Decay (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘

(v)
Viktor & Rolf (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Vichy (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
Vera Wang (P: Coty)✘
Vivienne Westwood (P: Coty)✘
Venus (P: P&G companies) 
(w)
(x)

(y)
YSL Beaute (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘
YUE SAI (P: L'Oreal Paris)✘

(z)




_______________________________________________________________________

Disclaimer: I look at three factors to determine if a company is cruelty-free.
1. I look at their parent company. I do not believe in supporting a brand which is under a big company that does not also have a 100% cruelty-free status. I believe this because in those situations you often don't know where your money is going. Often, it might be funding animal testing.

2. I look at the suppliers of the company's raw ingredients. Companies I consider to be 100% cruelty-free will have verified that they make sure the manufcatures of the raw ingredients comply. They are often also accredited by an animal rights organization such as PETA or LeapingBunny. This gives me more reassurance that the suppliers are also cruelty-free.

3. I look to see if the products are sold in China. I do this because for cosmetic products to be sold in the Chinese market cosmetic companies must test their products on animals. Meaning, that if a company sells it's products in that market it cannot be cruelty-free. [Disclaimer: Although I ask about vegan products, I do not use that criteria exclusively to determine whether a company is cruelty-free. I just do it for the convenience of my vegan friends. :) ]

12 comments:

  1. thanks for the list! it's really helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burt's Bees is stil certified by the leaping bunny even if it's own by Clorox. I'm a bit confuse.. what are your thought on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele.
      This is a very good question! It can be a bit confusing. If you look at the LeapingBunny list you will see that next to "Burts Bees" you will see ◆■. The ■ means (this is according to LeapingBunny) "Cruelty-free subsidiary of a parent company that does not comply." Burt's Bees is owned by Clorox, which is not cruelty-free. When this happens, you do not where your money is going, it can (& is most likely ) going to fund that parent company as well, which funds animal testing.

      Please see http://humanelychic.blogspot.com/2012/09/hey-guys.html

      Companies, that are owned by parent companies (in this case Clorox) are not 100% cruelty-free. The ◆, just means that the company uses the leaping bunny logo. I hope this makes sense. If not, don't be shy & let me know. Thank you for your feedback, I truly appreciate it. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the answer!

      I'm so glad I found your blog. I admire you for what you do and thank you so much for sharing it with us!
      I'll' be a loyal reader! (:

      Delete
    3. Thank you so very much! I'm really glad that I can help! I know it can be hard, but it's totally worth it. :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for this list, however it's a little confused. You have TooFaced as cruelty free, but then further down it has a strike-through, as if it is NOT cruelty free. A few companies are on the list twice and different on each!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sorry. If you see the key (on the top) you will see that the companies in blue have not replied to me & the ones in fushia have replied to me. I added this list(in addition to my cruelty-free list) just so people can see what companies I have & have not corresponded with. Also, to keep me accountable. I hope this clears some things up. I'm actually in the process of remodeling the layout of my list, so really any feedback is much appreciated :) I hope that makes sense.

      Delete
  4. After some extensive online research I discovered that
    Bobbi Brown
    Laura Mercier
    Nars

    are on the naughty list =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. Yes, I know :(. The fun thing I found about going cruelty-free is learning about all these "indie" cosmetic companies. It seems hard at first, but later you realize you learn so much!
      -Camila

      Delete
  5. Hello Camila,

    I am new in the world of cosmetics. One of my friends introduced me to MAC and I've used them since then. I do not want to use them anymore, I'm returning what I just bought today. I believe the quality of MAC is great, so I want to find an animal cruelty free equivalent to MAC products that can be easily found.

    I'd appreciate your suggestions.

    Thank you for all the information you have here :D

    Mona G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Norma!!
      I'm so happy to hear you decided to choose cruelty-free products!!! YAY!!! One of the best ways to introduce others to the world of cruelty-free cosmetics is by setting an example. Which I know can be really difficult, so I truly appreciate your effort and that you decided to educate yourself about the companies you support with your money. I'm truly honored and glad my little blog was helpful in some way. :) Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)