Friday, September 13, 2013

Sleek MakeUp | Cruelty-Free?


Hey guys.
If you've been following my blog from the beginning, you will know that I've spent the last year trying, and trying, and trying to get a reply from Sleek Makeup. I've vented loads!

The first time I tried to contact them I couldn't even find a contact email, I did find a number but since I live in the US (and am a college student) I didn't want to pay the rate. (Sidenote: a reader who lives in the UK actually emailed me saying she called the number listed and they didn't reply, etc.) I therefore, decided to shoot them a message via my private facebook page. Again I waited....no reply for 5+ months. One day I finally got a message from them saying to email my question(s) to this email: pr@sleekmakeup.com.

(I don't share the company's email because, usually, if you want to contact a company you can google it or find it on their website, it's not exactly private information. However, seeing as it took a while to even find Sleek's contact information I wanted to share it so EVERYONE who is considering buying from them or has bought from them can email them and flood them with their question(s). You have a right to email, ask questions, and hear back from a company. )

Again, I waited 2 more months.

Eventually, they replied! Which was exciting except they avoided the China question.  So I emailed them again. I used the format I always use.

Finally, I got the comprehensive email I was looking for and here it is for you to see:


Hello Camilla,
Thank you for your for contacting Sleek MakeUp’s with your query. We would like to take this opportunity to address the points raised in your email to us. Sleek Makeup is a privately owned family business. When sourcing manufacturers make a conscious decision to work with companies who do not test on animals. We do not test any ingredients or finished products on animals nor are we affiliated with any third party that test on animals. 
Sleek MakeUP is currently sold worldwide which does not exclude China. No Sleek MakeUP products contain Palm Oil. However our hide It Concealer, Kajal, Eye Drama, Magnitude Mascara and Base Duo Kit contain carnauba wax that has been sourced responsibly. In regards to our products that are suitable for Vegans, we have attached a spread sheet that details which specific products are suitable. We hope this addresses all the points you have raised. If you have any further queries, do not hesitate to contact us. Kind 
RegardsCustomer Services

As you can see, they did not meet my criteria for determining cruelty-free status; therefore, I won't be adding them to my list. (1) Compliant parent company, if they have one. (2) Cruelty-free manufacturers of ingredients. (3) Not sold in China.  (To read my criteria in detail and to learn the "whys" click here).

If I'm honest, I was expecting this. Why else would it take them, close to a year to reply? At least now we can all stop guessing and can cross them off our list. I am disappointed, because seeing as they are a European brand and Europe has banned animal testing, I was hoping this correspondence might have been different. I don't understand how they are allowed to sell in a country that mandates animal testing. I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure about the legality. I am going to try to find out why.

I sorry if this is a bummer! However, knowledge is power and now you (& I) can find an alternative company to support with our money.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! Feel free to share how you feel about this email! Leave me feedback!!

Lots of Love,
Camila


4 comments:

  1. I think British products can be sold in China because it is actually China doing the animal testing, not the company itself. I'm not an expert on this and am probably as confused as you, but from what I understand a lot of companies are claiming they're cruelty-free because THEY aren't doing the testing. Let us know if you find out more because it's so hard to get straight answers on these topics! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure will!! & Yeah, many loop holes are popping up! :(

      Delete
  2. They claim they are cruelty free yet they still indirectly test on animals! It's such a shame :(

    Char,
    hell0imchar.blogspot.co.uk
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Camilla! I've been searching the net for this answer and got really confused until I read this. Selling to China totaly negates my cruelty-free policy also, so I'm not buying from them again.

    ReplyDelete

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)