Friday, October 19, 2012

Sleek Makeup

April 23, 2013 UPDATE: I published the article below on October 19, 2012. After at least five + attempts to try to contact them, I don't know how I would feel about supporting such an inconsiderate company, even if they are cruelty-free. I will however, keep you updated. 




Hey guys.

     I've been relentless in trying to contact Sleekmakeup.com and have been unsuccessful. Big surprise!! Since the people at Sleek are ignoring me, I have taken my own measures. I have been snooping around, checking their status with animal rights organizations. What I have found is...well you decide for yourself. 
     First, they are not listed in either PETA's DON'T list and PETA's DO list; or on LeapingBunny's list. Wanting to give Sleekmakeup a chance to redeem themselves I ventured on to Nottested.co.uk ; which is a UK animal rights website, that gives list of various other company's animal testing policies.
   Companies that are highlighted in orange, are those : "Companies yet to respond or who have ambiguous policies (i.e. Those that do not clearly state that both the finished products and ingredients are not tested on animals)" 

     When you scroll down to Sleekmakeup, there is a statement from the company ; which is: ""[We] confirm that we do not test any of our products on animals during any phase of the product’s development, and therefore declare that all cosmetic products comply with the EEC Cosmetics Directive 76/768/EEC that are not tested on animals."

    They do not have a parent company. 
     If this is true, why not become certified by a credible organization, like PETA or Leaping Bunny???
     Companies like this make me think "SHADY!" Although, I hate companies like Revlon, Maybelline, Burt's Bee's (Clorox), etc... but at least those companies, in their conservative ways, either state they are testing on animals, or "indicate" they are. 
     It's really disappointing. I have tired three times now to contact them, no reply so far. I will keep trying! Even if it means taking a trip to the UK. 
     Leave your opinions below, or contact me privately at ca.alva@yahoo.com 

5 comments:

  1. hello, I just wanted to say that whilst conducting my own research into this I found your blog and it has been a huge help. I have a Sleek eyeshadow palette that is around 4 years old and on the back of it. it says it was made in China, so I doubt very much that this company is cruelty free. It is also sold it the drug store and I've found that, that is a big indication of whether a product is tested on animals or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah,
      Yes, I know what you mean. I have actually just received an official reply from Sleek. After about a year of waiting. I needed to email them back to verify a few things.I announced it on my facebook page. Thanks for your wonderful comment & I'm glad you're doing your research it's always the best thing to do!

      Delete
  2. I am so sad to discover sleek is being sold in China. I am no longer buying a single thing from them. It is such a shame because I bought their lip palette recently and two incredible matte lipglosses that dont transfer on cups/glass! I have to stop telling everyone about that because I thought I was promoting a cruelty free brand but I wasn't. I feel so awful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara,
      Don't be so hard on yourself sweetie! We've all been there! I still have products (like lipsticks that take forever to finish). It's a process & soon you'll get there! :D It's also exciting to discover awesome new products!

      Delete
  3. OMG!! Sleek sends in china??? I'm so upset!! I am really in this theme and i would like to be in touch with you. Would you please check out my blog and see my cruelty free list?? (Marcas libres de crueldad) PLEASE!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)