Friday, August 30, 2013

Light Mountain NATURAL | Hair Color and Conditioner REVIEW (LOTS OF PICTURES)



Hey guys. 

A few weeks ago, I was hunting for cruelty-free hair dye companies. I had seen Light Mountain's products in Sprouts and decided to shoot them an email. I shared my correspondence here! I was delighted to learn that they are a cruelty-free company and certified by LeapingBunny! I mentioned I wanted to try their products. 

Well, a representative from Light Mountain show my post and offered to sent me a hair dye to try. So yes, this product was sent to me for free (which trust me is hugely appreciated seeing as I'm a college student on a budget); however this review is 100% my opinion! I am not being paid for this review. I am always transparent on here with you all and hope, seeing as it's almost my 1-year blogger birthday, I have earned your trust! 

About the Product: 
I got the Light Mountain Natural Hair Color and Conditioner, in Light Red. These sets retail for $6.99 on the Light Mountain website. (Which is a GREAT price for a natural/cruelty-free company). 

Their products are super unique. The dye is actually made out of henna, yes henna! It does not have ammonia or peroxide, which is horrible for your hair and the scalp. The henna clings to the hair which causes the color change. (For in-detail info on how this works, click here). However, it does not remove color from the hair, so if you're looking for something that will lighten your hair, this is not the product for you. 

First Impression:
I was skeptical. Looking at the chart (picture is below) I knew that I wouldn't see much change, in terms of color, for my un-bleached hair -which is 95% of my hair. According to the chart the henna would give a 'conditioning effect' to my hair. Conditioning effect?! This basically means that the henna 'enhances and deepens existing color'. On the website they claim: "It can help minimize split ends and acts as "hair insurance" if you spend a lot of time in the sun, surf or wind." When I think of conditioning for hair, it think of hair conditioner, leave in treatments, etc. However, I was really open minded and soo excited to test it out!



Mixing the dye:
As you can see, the henna comes in a powder form. 
I won't go into too much about how to prepare the dye, just to save you time. It's really not complicated at all. Be sure to READ the instructions! I will warn you that it's messy process, so be sure to lay newspaper or something to catch any spills. 
Here's a video of how I mixed the water and henna powder. 

Application:
It was definitely messy. In hindsight, I should have asked for someone to dye it for me. The instructions say to use petroleum jelly to protect your skin from staining. PLEASE do so! I used lotion, which prevented my skin from staining but not from irritation. Yes, there was irritation. However, I've you've ever dyed your hair, it was no way near as uncomfortable as that. Also, test a little bit of the mixture on your skin before you apply it, just to be sure you aren't allergic to it. I applied it to ALL of my hair. Including my blonde ends. 

Before and After: 
I forgot to take a picture of my hair before! Opps!  I will add some random pictures so you can see what my hair looked like before: 

As you can see, my hombre was really blonde. I had dyed my hair black a couple of years back. (I'm not sure why, since my hair is naturally really dark, lol). 






AFTER:
(Be sure to click on the pictures, if you want to look really closely at the color and texture). 






Post-Application Thoughts:
The day after I applied it I was really disappointed. My hair felt stiff and the color was flat. I had read the instructions so I knew that it would take a couple of days for the color to fully 'develop.  Also, when you wash your hair, after the application, they recommend you not use shampoo. Considering those factors, and the fact that my hair had gone two days without washing, I decided to give it time.

I'm glad I did. It's been about two weeks since I dyed it and I think the color is beautiful. It's a coppery-red color. It's a little bit more bright, than I originally wanted, but seeing as my hair was really blonde before I can see why.

As far as the conditioning effect, I really didn't notice a difference.  I will say that I don't have as many split ends as I did before I dyed my hair. However, I have been using argan oil so I can't claim it's because of the henna.


Would I Recommend it:
Yes! It was such a fun experience and, as you can see, it totally works! If you are trying to darken you're hair, I would especially recommend it. However, if you're goal is to lighten it, I would not.
Also, it's soooo much better for the environment! I felt guilt free watching it go down the drain in my shower.


I hope this wasn't too long of a post. Seeing as this product, I would imagine, is foreign for most of you I wanted to take the time to describe what it does. I hope you enjoyed this!

What do you think? Leave me feedback in the comments below. Are you going to give this a try?

Lots of Love,
Camila





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)