Sunday, June 8, 2014

DIY Custom Tea-Can || Tea Lover's Delight





Hey guys.
I'm excited to share this unique DIY project.

It's basically an empty can of coffee that I decided to use to store my tea. 
It wasn't until very recently that I decided to start drinking tea. I mean I had once in a blue moon, but not enough to call myself a "tea lover".

I'm not a nutritionist but it's secret of how good tea is for you. The main reason I decided to get into tea is that it gives water flavor without adding sugar (like those horrible lemonade powder drinks). I appreciate as I try to drink a lot of water on a daily basis and especially during summer. Sometimes just drinking water gets boring and I start craving suggary drinks which are so bad for you. 

Don't worry my coffee lover friends, coffee will always be my number one love. After all I'm Colombia and a Colombian whom does not love coffee is a sin.

***This DIY project or even my instructions to brew the tea might seem really common sense to some. Both are really easy to do, I just like writing the steps down in case you don't know or are like me and like instructions! 


I especially like drinking my tea iced. I thought I'd share how they Starbucks brews their teas. It's really easy.

1. You take really hot water (boiling preferably).  Add one or two bags and let them steep for 3-5 minutes. 
2. I like it really strong so I don't add much water. If you are going to add water go ahead and it it now.
♥ 3.I just add ice and stir! Stir until the water gets cold. Add as much ice as you'd like!




What You'll Need:

♥1. Scrapbook paper, basically any paper with a patter you like. Just be sure it's quite think, if you use regular paper it will crease and look messy once you apply the glue. 
This wallpaper my mom got at a garage sale and never used.

♥2. scissors

♥3. sharpie, pen, or pencil

 ♥4. Mod Podge or regular school glue
If you can get the Mod Podge! 

5. You might also want to consider using glitter, paint, charms, etc. Spice up your Tea-Can as much as you'd like. 



This is my selection of tea. I'm not a fan of just green tea, or black tea anything plain I don't love. I like these teas with flavor infusions. These are by stash. (I bought these, don't worry I wasn't sent them). I think this brand of teas is really nice and has a lot of flavors to choose from. They are (in my opinion) pricey but not too pricey. In fact you can find them much cheaper at discount stores. I bought my at Ross which is a discount fashion and home store. Random, I know. 
Here we have:
♥1. Double Spice Chai--black
♥2. Ginger Peach --green
♥3. Cinnamon Apple Chamomile --herbal 





Isn't it a nice pattern. My favorite book is Pride and Prejudice and I feel like Elizabeth would have this wallpaper in her room.



♥ 1. Be sure to measure the circumference of your can/bottle, etc. I found it easiest to use a string. Also measure the width of your can/bottle. Be sure to get a correct measurement or else everything will just not work out. Spend a little extra time here!



♥ 2. We are going to measure out a rectangle that will fit around our can.
Now turn over the scrapbook paper/paper you plan on using.  Stretch the string to it's full length on the paper. Make a small dot right above the top of the string, then grab the end and stretch it to it's full length. Go ahead and let go of the top of the string (once you've draw your dot). Now repeat and draw your dot at the bottom of the string. Be sure to stretch it to get the true length of the can.  

From the first dot you drew, extend the string that you measured the width with.
Repeat this at the bottom dot of the string.
I'm sure you guys can figure out what to do from there.



♥3. I could not find a ruler so I used the cover of my Tay-Swift notebook. Now simply connect the dots. I found it pretty hard making a straight line! Use a pencil! 

♥4.  Cut out the rectangle. 


♥ 5. Make sure the rectangle you've cut fits around the can. If it's a bit too wide, just trim it.



♥ 6. Now it's time to glue. I really think Mod Podge works best, but use whatever you have.
Mod Podge is more runny than regular glue, so I used an old makeup brush to apply glue to the back of my paper.




♥ 7. Then go ahead and glue the paper onto your can. I had no trouble at all applying the paper to the can.
Be sure to smooth it out. Kind of like you're giving the can a massage. LOL. Try to get rid of any air bubbles.




 It's looking good!


 8. I'm going to make a circle using this bowl. I want to make a label using the circle scrap. I'm going to use the back side of the wallpaper in order to give it some contrast.  

I decided to draw a glittery heart and a glittery edge. 






 9. To make the glittery heart, I just simply drew a heart right on my label. Using my makeup brush I applied a bit of glue, being especially careful not to get any glue outside of the edge. Then I just poured the glitter on it. 








10. I decided to paint the lid of the can. On hindsight I should have applied some Mod Podge to protect from water, etc. I encourage to either let it be or to apply a coat of Mod Podge to the lid. 


Thanks for reading this! Even if you didn't read or just scrolled through lol. 
Leave me feedback in the comments.

Lots of Love,
Camila










No comments:

Post a Comment

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)